Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Our Director Inspires Girl In Morogoro

Our Director Inspires Girl In Morogoro


Last Saturday our Director and Program Officer visited SEGA- (Secondary Education for Girls Advancement), in Morogoro. Our Director was invited to give a talk at the SEGA Career’s Seminar for From 3 and 4 girls.

SEGA Girls is a school founded by Polly Dolan and supported by the USA based NGO Nurturing Minds in Africa (www.nurturingmindsinafrica.org) and USAID/ASHA. It is a residential school for bright motivated Tanzanian girls who otherwise are unable to attend school due to extreme poverty.

We got to the school right after lunch and we were greeted with big smiles and cheers. We felt right at home as if we had been there before.

The Director of Communication Ms. Ellie Schneidman then gave us a tour of the school and showed two entrepreneurial businesses run by the students; a canteen shop and a poultry farm. These two businesses provide the students an opportunity to learn business skills and earn money for school making it self-sufficient.


At the seminar our Director gave an inspiring talk about why HMT was founded and the work that is done by HMT. Her talk was well received by the girls. “ Oh my gosh. I loved all of it. I loved presenting on why I want to be an Engineer and I how I can do it. I also want to be like Zena. I want to do what I’m most interested in”. She also spoke about empowering girls through education, a topic that was close to these girls who have been given a life changing opportunity at SEGA.






No comments: